TEXAS CZECHS: Rooted In Tradition
Texas Czechs: Rooted in Tradition is a multimedia exhibition that celebrates the prevailing traditions of the Texas Czech community and is on display at Pioneer Farms in Austin, TX. Open Fri-Sun, for location directions and hours visit their website or call 512.837.1215.
Czech culture has played an instrumental role in shaping the iconic Texas landscape and its sights, sounds, and tastes can still be found throughout Texas on any given day. Like many immigrant groups, Czechs brought dance, food, language, music, and other cultural traditions with them. The Texas Czech community maintains and passes on its sense of identity by continuing to practice those traditions and creating some particular to Texas Czechs.
Texas Czechs: Rooted in Tradition captures this activity — presenting a contemporary picture of the diversity and richness of Texas Czech culture today. It includes photographs, artifacts, and documentary films and currently on display at Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms, in Austin, TX.
Since October 2014, the exhibition has been hosted at the following venues:
- Museum of the Coastal Bend, Victoria
- Czech Center Museum Houston
- Lavaca Historical Museum, Hallettsville
- Institute of Texan Cultures, San Antonio
- Czech Heritage Museum and Genealogy Library, Temple
- State Capitol Visitors Center, Austin
- La Retama Central Library, Corpus Christi